July 26, 2010

Truth and Honesty

What is your first thought when a person says, "trust me?" Some people would automatically be suspicious, while others would give them the benefit of the doubt. How trusting and honest are you? Is it easy for you to put yourself out there and open yourself up to someone? These are questions a lot of people ask themselves these days, including me. It's not easy to take risks with your heart, but no one wants to be alone for the rest of their lives either, so we take chances.

When you go on a first date, do you disclose too much information, or do you take things slowly? I used to hold things in when I was younger and not say much of anything about myself. I listened more when I went on dates but only because I didn't have self-assurance. I didn't have a lot of confidence in my early 20's so I didn't feel comfortable opening up and talking about me. I had to find out who I was first. Now that I'm older, I know who I am and what's important in my life so it's much easier to have a conversation. But we all know that it's still not easy opening up to someone and putting yourself out there. These days, I try to get to know a person a bit before I open up and disclose too much. A nice steady pace works best for me.

So, if someone asks you a question, do you tell the absolute truth? I think it's best to be honest with people but as a result, you can sometimes hurt their feelings. I don't like hurting anyone because I've been hurt so you have to find a tactful way to be honest without being hurtful and that's not easy to do. When you meet someone new that you really like, you both want to know everything about each other. So you start out asking little questions that are easy to answer at first. But, eventually the questions get more personal and maybe a little harder so you have to open up more and you don't want to start out telling lies because the truth usually comes out anyway. Besides, once they find out you lied, it's over because they're not likely to trust you anymore.

So, here's the thing, most people don't want to grow old alone, which means we have to learn to trust each other. Lies typically end relationships, so we should always try our best to be honest. Mutual honesty and mutual trust work very well together and the relationship will likely sustain itself because you respect each other. This rule of thumb applies to family, friends and lovers, so just think about what you want and how you want to be treated and simply do the same for someone you love, respect and admire. Honesty and truth never goes out of style, so make it a part of your daily life and you can't go wrong. And just remember that old adage, "the truth will set you free!"

Love 'N Joy!

5 comments:

  1. I honestly and truthfully believe that this is another great blog Joyce! No lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust is very serious… relationships, workplace, everyplace… trusting others and even trusting yourself when it comes to making the best decisions for you (health, finances, education).

    How do you learn to trust – how do you teach trust? Do you demand trust?

    I agree, JWill, “the truth will set you free”… Create your own atmosphere!

    Great topic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog Joyce! It's good to read something so many of us can relate too. Although many of us know- "Truth and Honesty" is the best policy- some of us tend to forget. Thanks for the reminder and your wonderful blog! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on Joyce!
    Last night I spent 5 hours just talking face to face with a potential (you know who) asking him many question and answering his with complete honesty. It was one of the most passionate and interesting conversations I've had with a gentleman in a long time. Bottom line for me...are his actions! ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and for your support! It really means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete